2017-I’m sooooo glad to see you! As are many others this year who typically aren’t a fan of the calendar page turning. I know many who shame New Year’s and all the “Fresh Starts” we see this time of year. But for me it’s the one time I get a week off work AFTER the holiday to rest. To reflect. It’s certainly different with a babe-the rest is coupled with nursing, changing diapers and wrangling our ever-curious babe.
I always love a fresh start. New planner. Fresh page in the notebook. New set of pens and freshly sharpened pencils. I’m especially excited about this year. After June arrived and we had adjusted somewhat to her in our lives, we sat down and talked goals. Family goals. BIG goals. Exciting dreams and how they would become reality rather than just a shared Google Doc. 🙂
Now that those goals are set forth and we have a time-table to them, we now get to set the plan in action. It’s kind of like knocking over a domino and seeing the ripple effect–although this will certainly take much longer than it takes to knock them over. Perhaps this is the preparation–the setting up of said dominoes that will be knocked over in several years. But even in a 5 year timeline, discipline and faithfulness are the two BIG things that are going to make these dreams a reality. My verse for this year is going to help me stay focused.
He who is faithful in a very little thing is also faithful in much. Luke 16:10
While 2016 was tough (and let’s face it-2015 was tricky too), I’ve got so much to be thankful for. And as my girl Shauna always throws out those great ideas, here is my list of 10 things I’m grateful for in 2016.
- A healthy baby girl delivered at 31 weeks!
- Renovations on the house progressed-lots of drywall hung, painting and a more finished house.
- Amazing support from Lew’s parents–from making sure we had plenty of food when our NICU journey began & when June came home to doing a TON on the house.
- The ability to work 4 days week this summer.
- Supper club! Such a fun, needed group for our souls this year.
- Prioritizing date nights became a reality.
- Gaining such great (continual) support from our NICU family.
- The ability to nurse June starting at day 47 to now–11 months!!
- Joining an incredible company with a mission-Beautycounter
- The most incredibly supportive partner and the ability to get away for an overnight just the two of us.
Bonus–This. Is. Us. Enough Said.
I’m really stoked for 2017 and the new momentum we’ve found so far. I was having a conversation with a friend this week and her New Year’s Goal was to just do grown-up things. Act like an adult. I love that. I think that’s where so many of my goals are as well-and each move us toward achieving our long-term goals. But really are just simply aligned with the kind of person I want to be in my mid-30’s. I want to eat healthy as I know my body needs, work toward becoming debt free, grow together in our marriage, increase my depth, understanding and commitment to the Word, and keep my eyes on that long-term goal. If every decision we make this year stems out of faithfulness to these things, it’s gonna be a good good year.